J2 Visa

The J2 is a nonimmigrant visa and a “derivative” of the J1 Exchange Visitors visa. It’s a dependent visa and allows immediate relatives to accompany a J1 primary visa holder. Immediate relatives refer to unmarried children who are below 21 and spouses of a J1 visa beneficiary. As a dependent visa, any changes to the J1 status affect the J2 status.

There are different J1 visa classifications, and each has its own J2 rules. Also, not all J1 classifications support J2 visas. Some examples include camp counsellor, high school student, work and travel participant, and au pair visa classifications.

This is because the U.S. government does not specify any objectives for it. You may have a J2 dependent with a J1 visa in those classifications only if your program sponsor or program authorizes it.

J2 visas have no annual issuing cap. Relatives, no matter how many, can apply so long as they meet the requirements. J2 visa holders can study and work in the United States under specific conditions.


Book Free Consultation

Why choose us?

OISC Registered Advisors

Fixed Fees With No Surprises

Step by Step Guidance

Stress Free Visa Applications

Our benefits

At GovSupport we always put the client first. We will take the time to understand your personal circumstances and goals, and we aim to simplify what can be a complex process, and provide clear and actionable advice.

When you work with us on your visa application, you can expect friendly and professional service from our network of expert OISC registered advisors.