IR1/CR1 Visa

The IR1/CR1 Visa, also known as the Spouse Green Card or the Marriage Green Card, belongs to the immediate relative category of Family Based Green Cards. It is intended for foreign citizens who are legally married to US citizens. It allows them to come to the US to join their spouses and settle there as permanent residents.

There are two kinds of Marriage Green Card:

  • The IR1 Visa – designed for foreign citizens who have been married to a US citizen for at least two years.
  • The CR1 Visa – designed for foreign spouses who have recently gotten married to a US citizen. The CR1 Visa is granted on the condition that the couple remains married for at least two years.

Those who are in the US on the CR1 Visa can change to the IR1 Visa after being married to a US citizen for at least two years. However, if you receive the CR1 Visa and you get divorced before two years have passed, you will lose your status and will have to return to your home country.


Book Free Consultation

Why choose us?

OISC Registered Advisors

Fixed Fees With No Surprises

Step by Step Guidance

Stress Free Visa Applications

Our benefits

At GovSupport we always put the client first. We will take the time to understand your personal circumstances and goals, and we aim to simplify what can be a complex process, and provide clear and actionable advice.

When you work with us on your visa application, you can expect friendly and professional service from our network of expert OISC registered advisors.